GLANTON, a township, in the parish of Whittingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 8 miles (W.) from Alnwick; containing 592 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated on the road from Morpeth to Wooler, and has been much improved by the erection of several handsome houses. The tithes have been commuted for £84. 17. 6. payable to the vicar, and £189. 15. 4. to the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. There is a place of worship for Presbyterians. On a lofty eminence called Glanton Pyke, at a short distance to the north-west of the village, was formerly a beacon. Several stone coffins, and urns containing burnt bones, discovered about 1716, near "Deer-street," in the township, are supposed to have been deposited before the invasion of the Romans, from the discovery also, at different periods, of weapons that evidently belonged to the Britons. There is a petrifying well, at the bottom of which shell-marl is found.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.