Garmondsway is a hamlet in County Durham, located about 6 miles south-east of Durham and 3 miles north of Sedgefield. Garmondsway is part of the Civil Parish of Kelloe; historically it was within the ancient Parish of Bishop Middleham.
GARMONDSWAY-MOOR, a township, in the parish of Bishop's-Middleham, union of Sedgefield, N.E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 6¾ miles (S.E. by S.) from Durham; containing 157 inhabitants. This place is said to have derived its name from Garmundus the Dane; and the ancient Via Garmundi, along which King Canute travelled barefooted to the shrine of St. Cuthbert, at Durham, passed through it. The township is the property of Sherburn Hospital, and is situated north of the road leading from Trimdon to Cornforth: the produce of a colliery here is shipped at Hartlepool. The height of Garmondsway-Moor, which commands most extensive views, is a mile to the north-east of Middleham.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Garmondsway is a small dispersed hamlet (place) in the parish of Kelloe in County Durham, England situated between Durham and Sedgefield.
It is notable as including substantial remains of an abandoned village including an extant ridge and furrow field system and became a scheduled monument in 1957.
It was formerly part of the extra-parochial chapelry of Garmondsway Moor due to its ownership by Sherburn Hospital. Garmondsway Moor was also a civil parish between 1866 and 1937.
King Canute (1017–1035) reportedly walked five miles barefoot from Garmondsway to Durham Cathedral on pilgrimage, and gave the church a large estate around Staindrop and Gainford.