Topics > Northumberland > Carrshield > Former School, Carrshield

Former School, Carrshield

A former school for miners’ children was built in Carrshield in 1851, paid for by WB Beaumont. The boys school was in the right-hand of the building and the girls to the left. After the school closed it was used by the County Council as a field study centre. In more recent years it was converted to residential accommodation and a craft/art centre.[1] A stone plaque above the building is inscribed: "CAR SHIELD SCHOOL / BUILT BY AND ON LAND BELONGING TO / W. B. BEAUMONT ESQ / FOR THE EDUCATION OF CHILDREN / OF ALL RELIGIOUS DENOMINATIONS / 1851".[2] This is Grade II listed on the National Heritage List for England.

Carrshield Grade II Listed Private Residence 1851 Historic Buildings and Monuments in West Allen Civil Parish
from Geograph (geograph)
The former Car Shield School

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Plaque on the former Car Shield School

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Allen Valleys Local History (flickr)
Carrshield 1995 [0002-193]

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
- "School, now Expedition Centre, dated 1851. Squared stone with ashlar dressings, tooled and margined plinth and quoins. 1 & 2 storeys, 7 bays, symmetrical. Central gabled projecting 2-storey bay has …

Added by
Simon Cotterill


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

List number: 1156372
List grade: 2
County: Northumberland
Grid ref: NY8029847790


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.