Forest Quarter Township (Stanhope), 1848
FOREST-QUARTER, a township, in the parish of Stanhope, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (W.) from Stanhope; containing 3,531 inhabitants. The township includes the chapelry of Weardale, and contains the small market-town called St. John's Chapel, and the hamlets of Burtree-ford, Daddry-Shields, Ireshope Burn, Hadry-Clough, Wear's Head, and West Black-Dean; it extends westward to the borders of Cumberland, and comprises about 20,000 acres of land, intersected by the river Wear, which here flows in a direction east-southeast to west-north-west. At Copt Hill is a chapel built by Dr. Barrington, Bishop of Durham, who endowed it with land now let for £15 per annum. There are places of worship for Primitive and Wesleyan Methodists.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.