FINGLAND, a township, in the parish of Bowness, union of Wigton, Cumberland ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 6½ miles (N.) from the town of Wigton; containing 187 inhabitants.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Fingland is a hamlet in the Allerdale district, in the county of Cumbria. Fingland is located on the B5307 road in between the villages of Kirkbride and Kirkbampton. There is a farm called Fingland Rigg nearby, which gives its name to Finglandrigg Woods National Nature Reserve.
It was called Thingland in the Middle Ages (Thingland in 1279) meaning "place of the a Scandinavian ting, assembly". There is a similar place-name in Normandy near Jobourg (Cotentin) : le Tingland.