Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Fawcett Forest - Former Civil Parish > Fawcett Forest Township, 1848
Fawcett Forest Township, 1848
FAWCET-FOREST, a township, partly in the parish of Orton, East ward, but chiefly in that of Kendal, union and ward of Kendal, county of Westmorland, 7 miles (N.N.E.) from Kendal; containing 83 inhabitants. This wild and extensive district was anciently called Fauside, and belonged to Byland Abbey, Yorkshire. It is near the road between the towns of Kendal and Penrith; and Hucks, the half-way house between Kendal and Shap, is in the district. The principal part of Fawcet-Forest now belongs to the Hon. Mrs. Howard, of Elford, near Lichfield, who is owner of the manor.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
Add a comment or share a memory.