ESCOMBE, a parochial chapelry, in the union of Auckland, N. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1¾ mile (W.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 510 inhabitants. The township comprises 929 acres, of which 557 are arable, 365 meadow and pasture, and the remainder gardenground; the surface is undulated, and the scenery agreeably diversified. The neighbourhood abounds with coal, of which there are extensive mines in operation in the hamlet of Etherley-Lane; the produce is conveyed by railway. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £200; patron, the Bishop of Durham. The tithes have been commuted for a rent-charge of £8, and the glebe comprises 40 acres. The church is an ancient structure. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.