Topics > Cumbria > Ennerdale Bridge > Ennerdale, 1848

Ennerdale, 1848


ENNERDALE, a parochial chapelry, in the parish of St. Bees, union of Whitehaven, Allerdale ward above Derwent, W. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (N.E.) from Egremont; containing, with Ennerdale High End, 183 inhabitants. This place is remarkable for its lake, about two miles and a half in length and three-quarters of a mile in breadth; the scenery is wild and striking, and beyond the head of the lake is to be seen a confused assemblage of mountains, one of them named the Pillar, rising to an elevation of 2,893 feet. On the second Tuesday in September a sheep-fair is held in the village; and the Earl of Lonsdale, as lord of the manor, holds a court at Michaelmas. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £84; patron, H. Curwen, Esq. The chapel is a small neat edifice, repaired in 1786.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Ennerdale Bridge St Bees (St. Bega) Parish, Historical Account, 1848

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES