Embleton (Sedgefield), 1848
EMBLETON, a chapelry, in the parish and union of Sedgefield, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 8½ miles (N. by W.) from Stockton; containing 98 inhabitants, and comprising 3,356 acres of inferior land, principally arable. This place, anciently called Elmdene from its deep hollow glen abounding with elms, gave name to a family that became resident here about the commencement of the 13th century. Though consisting now of only a few houses, it was formerly of considerable size: in a field south of the village are numerous tumuli, evidently resulting from the ruins of buildings; and the parish registers testify that the number of inhabitants about two centuries ago was much greater than at present. Here are two acres of glebe belonging to the rector of Sedgefield: the tithes have been commuted for £138. 13. The chapel, situated on the brink of the dene, appears to have been originally of larger dimensions than it now is.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.