Edington Township, 1848
EDINGTON, a township, in the parish of Mitford, union of Morpeth, W. division of Castle ward, S. division of Northumberland, 4¼ miles (S.W. by W.) from Morpeth; containing 23 inhabitants. It comprises 631a. 2r. 31p. The village occupies a very commanding situation, having the whole of the parish of Mitford, with the winding banks of the Font and Wansbeck, within view; besides which are extensive prospects of hill and sea. To the west is excellent grass and turnip soil, on a decaying sandstone which is much esteemed for mixing with lime for mortar and plaster, and of which considerable quantities have been used in the new mansion-house of Creswell and in other buildings, of late years. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £14. 8. The monks of Newminster had possessions here.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.