East Tanfield Colliery (1844 - 1965)
East Tanfield Colliery near Tantobie in County Durham was opened in 1844. In the 19th century it was owned by James Joicey co. which also owned Tanfield Lea and Tanfield Moor collieries. Later, in 1917, the colliery was owned by East Tanfield Colliery Co. Ltd. At it's peak, in terms of numbers employed, in 1940 there were 899 working at the colliery (704 working below ground and 195 working on the surface). East Tanfield Colliery closed on the 9th of January 1965.