East Coanwood, Township, 1848
COANWOOD, EAST, a township, in the parish and union of Haltwhistle, W. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 5 miles (S.) from Haltwhistle; containing 139 inhabitants. The name was anciently Collingwood, which, in its Welsh form of Collen-gwydd, means hazel-trees or hazel-wood, with which the district abounded, until, in consequence of the mining operations in the vicinity (converting the wood into charcoal), the article became scarce, existing now only in certain places. The township contains the hamlets of High and Low Ramshaw, and Gorbet-hill, and comprises 2,040 acres, of which about 1,000 are common or waste: it has a coal-mine, called the Rig-pit, in operation. There is a place of worship for the Society of Friends.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.