List number: 1042682
List grade: 2
Grid ref: NZ1720685990

Drinking fountain, Mitford


There is a drinking fountain besides the B6343 road through Mitford. It was built in 1877 and it's round-headed stone arch encloses a carving of dragon's head impaled on sword,  inscribed J.P.O.M. (Colonel John Philip Osbaldeston-Mitford). It is the site of an earlier holy well, reputed to be the scene, in 1006 AD of miracles associated with a relic of St. Cuthbert's shroud.[1] The fountain is Grade II listed.

from Flickr (flickr)
Mitford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Mitford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Old pant or fountain

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
DRINKING FOUNTAIN 30 METRES EAST OF POST OFFICE - Mitford - List Entry
- "Drinking fountain, 1877. Tooled-and-margined stone, brass. Round-headed arch enclosing relief carving of dragon's head impaled on sword, and spout plate inscribed J.P.O.M. (Colonel John Philip Osbaldeston-Mitford ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES