Deserted Medieval Village and Chapel, Tughall


The village of Tughall was recorded as being part of the barony of Alnwick in 1242. The ruins of its 12th century chapel and its graveyard are located at the east end of the site of the former village. The chapel is reputedly built on the spot where the body of St Cuthbert rested on 13th December 1069, during its journey returning the body from Durham to Lindisfarne.[1] It was a chapel of ease to Bamburgh and last used in 1630.  Earthworks in the village also include the bases of rectangular crofts and areas of medieval ridge and furrow ploughing. The ruins are a Scheduled Ancient Monument. 

from Geograph (geograph)
Remains of Chapel

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Chapel ruins

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Remains of Chapel, Tughall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Deserted medieval village and chapel at Tughall
- "...The monument includes part of the deserted medieval village and chapel of Tughall. It is situated on level ground in the arable coastal strip of north Northumberland. The village earthworks ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Saint Cuthbert (634-687)
  Co-Curate Page
Saint Cuthbert (634-687)
- Overview About St Cuthbert Cuthbert is a saint of the early Northumbrian church in the Celtic tradition. In the former Kingdom of Northumbria, Cuthbert was associated with the monasteries of ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES