Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Dacre Civil Parish > Dacre Parish, 1848

Dacre Parish, 1848


DACRE (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 4½ miles (S.W. by W.) from Penrith; containing, with the townships of Great Blencowe, Newbiggin, Soulby, and Stainton, 975 inhabitants, of whom 204 are in the township of Dacre. A monastery existed here in the time of Bede; and at this place Constantine, King of Scotland, and Eugenius, King of Cumberland, placed themselves and their dominions under the authority of Athelstan. Dacre Castle was long the residence of an ancient and noble family of that name: the main body of it, consisting principally of four towers, of excellent workmanship, remains in a very perfect state. The parish comprises by admeasurement 6,466 acres, of which about 808 are wood, 300 meadow and pasture, and the rest arable: limestone is obtained. The living is a discharged vicarage, valued in the king's books at £8, and in the patronage of the Crown, with a net income of £120; impropriator, the Earl of Lonsdale. The small tithes of the townships of Dacre and Soulby were commuted for land, under an inclosure act, in 1806. There is a school endowed with £140 per annum, arising from land; another with £8. 15., a third with £7. 10., and a fourth with £3, per annum. At Southwaite, in the parish, is a mineral spring.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Dacre Civil Parish Dacre Stainton Newbiggin, Dacre Soulby (Penrith) Great Blencow Cumberland, Parishes and Townships, 1848
Dacre
  Co-Curate Page
Dacre
Soulby (Penrith)
  Co-Curate Page
Soulby (Penrith)
- SOULBY, a township, in the parish of Dacre, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 5 miles (S.W.) from Penrith; containing 61 inhabitants. The village ...
Great Blencow
  Co-Curate Page
Great Blencow
- BLENCOW, GREAT, a township, in the parish of Dacre, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (W.N.W.) from Penrith; containing 64 inhabitants. In 1772 land and ...
Stainton
  Co-Curate Page
Stainton
- Overview Map Street View STAINTON, a township, in the parish of Dacre, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 2¾ miles (S.W. by W.) from the town of ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Dacre Parish
- "Ancient parish in Leath ward, Cumberland, containing townships of Dacre, Great Blencow, Newbiggin, Soulby and Stainton....manor of Dacre and Soulby: held by Dacre family (seat at Dacre Castle) until ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
Newbiggin, Dacre
  Co-Curate Page
Newbiggin, Dacre
- Overview About Newbiggin Map Street View NEWBIGGIN, a township, in the parish of Dacre, union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of the county of Cumberland, 3¾ miles (W. by ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES