Cumwhitton Parish, 1848
CUMWHITTON (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Brampton, Eskdale ward, E. division of Cumberland; comprising the townships of Cumwhitton, Moorthwaite, and Northsceugh; and containing 533 inhabitants, of whom 242 are in the township of Cumwhitton, 9 miles (E.S.E.) from Carlisle. The parish comprises 5,400a. 2r. 29p., the whole of which is arable, with the exception of about 140 acres of meadow, the ground occupied by a few Scottish firs and larches, and the plantations on the banks of the Eden. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £102; patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle. The church is in the Norman style, and consists of a nave, chancel, and north aisle; a tower was built in 1810, and the ancient lancet windows have been displaced for others of larger dimensions. On an eminence called "King Harry" is a Druidical temple, the stones of which, 90 in number, are placed in a circular position; and the lines of intrenchments may be traced on the common.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.