Croquetdale Ward, 1855
Extract from: History, Topography, and Directory of Northumberland...Whellan, William, & Co, 1855.
CROQUETDALE WARD is divided into four divisions, East, West, North, and South, and comprises two market towns Alnwick and Rothbury, twelve parishes, two parochial chapelries, and three extra-parochial places, besides six townships belonging to Warkworth parish, which is chiefly situated in Morpeth Ward. This large division of the county is bounded on the north by Bambrough and Glendale Wards, on the west by Scotland, on the south by Morpeth and Tindale Wards, and on the east by the German Ocean. Its form is an irregular oval; its greatest length, from east to west, being thirty-six miles, whilst its extreme breadth from north to south, is about twenty miles, and its total area is 286,762 statute acres. The number of its inhabitants in 1801, was 17,122; in 1841, 20,997; and in 1851, 21,717 souls. The soil and aspect of this district vary greatly; from lofty and sterile wastes to valleys of great fertility. In the eastern part of the ward the surface slopes gently to the sea, and the soil produces abundant crops. There are also some excellent seams of coal and beds of freestone. Splendid meadows are found in the vale of Whittingham, while the most unproductive land in the county is found upon Rimside Moor. A light dry loam prevails in the vicinity of Rothbury, a cold wet loam is found on the banks of the Reed, and the north-western part of the ward is a mountainous region, furnishing pasturage to flocks of sheep, which are very numerous in the neighbourhood. The ward is well watered by the rivers Coquet, Reed, Aln, Breamish, and Till, and by many smaller streams. The following table exhibits the names of the parishes, their acreage, number of houses, and population in 1851 : -