Croglin Parish, 1848
CROGLIN (St. John the Baptist), a parish, in the union of Penrith, Leath ward, E. division of Cumberland, 5 miles (N.N.E.) from Kirk-Oswald; containing 336 inhabitants. The parish derives its name from the river Croglin, by which it is bounded on the south; the surface is very uneven, and rises in some places into eminences of mountainous elevation, the highest being Croglin Fell. The substrata are chiefly limestone, and freestone of a reddish colour, which are both quarried, with some porphyry; and veins of coal are likewise found. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £8; net income, £223; patron, the Rev. John Jackson. A school, built by subscription in 1724, and conducted on the national plan, is endowed with the interest of £50 given in 1723 by the Rev. J. Hunter, rector, and an allotment of 24 acres appropriated on the inclosure, and yielding about £14 per annum.