COUNDON-GRANGE, a township, in the parish of St. Andrew Auckland, union of Auckland, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 1½ mile (E.S.E.) from Bishop-Auckland; containing 313 inhabitants. This place is situated on an eminence, and commands an extensive view of Weardale: the river Gaunless passes on the west. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £93. 12.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.