Topics > Cumbria > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Colton Civil Parish > Colton Parish, 1848

Colton Parish, 1848


Note the different spelling below (Coulton), compared to the current Colton.

COULTON (Holy Trinity), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster; containing, with the chapelries of Haverthwaite and Rusland and the parochial chapelry of Finsthwaite, 1,983 inhabitants. East Coulton is 5½ miles (N.N.E.), and West Coulton 5 (N. by E.), from Ulverston. This is one of the most modern parishes in Lancashire. Dr. Whitaker, by whom its origin was investigated, does not carry the parochial claim higher than to the year 1676, when it was probably severed from the parish of Hawkshead, in which it was previously a parochial chapelry. The parish is bounded on the east and south by the lake Windermere, and the river Leven, which issues from it; and on the west by the lake Coniston, and the river Crake, which, with the Leven, falls into Morecambe bay. The scenery is diversified by cheerful valleys, and rocky but moderate acclivities with hanging woods every where clothing their sides almost to their summits. The road from Ulverston to Kendal runs through the southern part of the parish, within the limits of which, at Backbarrow, extensive cotton-works are carried on; there are also iron-works, and works for the preparation of acid, and of gunpowder. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £84; patrons and appropriators, the Landowners, who pay their quotas for the minister's stipend. The church is a small plain building on the summit of a bleak hill; it consists of an embattled tower, a body with aisles, and a chancel. The chapels of Haverthwaite, Rusland, and Finsthwaite, form separate incumbencies. There is a meeting-house for the Society of Friends; and a parochial school is endowed with 50 acres of land given by Adam Sandys, Esq., besides a small bequest from Bartholomew Pennington.

Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.

Colton Civil Parish Backbarrow, 1905 Rusland Haverthwaite, 1848 Parts of Lancashire now in Cumbria
Haverthwaite, 1848
  Co-Curate Page
Haverthwaite, 1848
- HAVERTHWAITE, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 5 miles (N.E.) from ...
from https://www.cumbriacountyhi...
Colton
- "Parish (carved out of Hawkshead parish 1676) in Lonsdale hundred, Lancashire North of the Sands, including the settlements of Bouth, Finsthwaite, Haverthwaite, Nibthwaite and Rusland...."

Added by
Simon Cotterill
  Co-Curate Page
Backbarrow, 1905
- Extract from: Kelly's Directory of Lancashire, 1905 BACKBARROW is a small village, pleasantly seated on the north and south banks of the river Leven, which separates the parishes of Colton ...
  Co-Curate Page
Rusland
- RUSLAND, a district chapelry, in the parish of Coulton, union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, 8½ miles (N.N.E.) from ...

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES