Cornsay Colliery (colliery)


The colliery opened in 1868 and consisted of a number of drift mines: Chapelflat Drift, Colpike Drift, Ford Drift, High Drift, and Low Drift. The drift mines ran sideways into the hillside to work four thick seams of coal. Most of the coal produced was turned into coke. Thecolliery also produced fireclay, for making bricks, tiles and sewage pipes. The village of Cornsay Colliery was built to house the miners and their famiiies. In 1914 there were 602 people employed at the colliery (415 working below ground, 187 on the surface). Cornsay Colliery closed in February 1953.[1] ?1955

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Cornsay Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES