Coniscliffe Parish, 1848
CONISCLIFFE (St. Edwin), a parish, in the union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham; containing, with the townships of Carlebury and Low Coniscliffe, 422 inhabitants, of whom 244 are in the township of High Coniscliffe, 4 miles (W. by N.) from Darlington, on the road to Barnard-Castle. The village of High Coniscliffe, in which stands the church, is situated on the north bank of the Tees, occupying an eminence nearly surrounded by quarries. The living is a vicarage, endowed with a portion of the rectorial tithes, and valued in the king's books at £7. 18. 1½.; patron, the Bishop of Durham; impropriator of the remainder of the rectorial tithes, P. H. Howard, Esq. The great tithes have been commuted for £179, and the small for £182; the vicar has a glebe of 60 acres. The church is a very ancient structure, partly in the Norman and partly early English, with a Norman tower surmounted by a handsome spire. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.