Topics > County Durham > Gainford > Column by Edlestone Hall

Column by Edlestone Hall


This 40 ft tall classical column was originally erected at Stanwick Park, North Yorkshire, in c.1750. It was built by Sir Hugh Smithson to commemorate the Peace of Aachen of 1748, a treaty between France, Britain and Holland which ended the War of the Austrian Succession. The column formerly supported a statue, but this was subsequently destroyed.[1]

In 1923 the column was purchased by Robert Edleston and re-erected in Gainford to commemorate Joseph Edleston, a former vicar at Gainford, who had died in 1895. The Edleston family requested that a memorial be erected in the churchyard at St Mary's. However, the family were greatly displeased when the  authorities refused and instead suggested that the Edleston’s should donate land they owned next to the church to extend the churchyard and have the  memorial there. The family kept the land and built Edleston Hall, nicknamed 'spite house', which was completed in 1904 in a prominent position overlooking the church. Almost 2 decades later, the Edlestons erected the column in the grounds of the hall, placed right up against the graveyard wall![2] The Column is a Grade II listed building.

Gainford Historic Buildings and Monuments in Gainford and Langton Civil Parish Grade II Listed
from Geograph (geograph)
The column in the grounds of Edlestone Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Monument in Gainford

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE - List Entry
- "Commemorative column, c.1750. Erected by Sir Hugh Smithson at Stanwick Park, North Yorkshire, to commemorate the Peace of Aachen of 1748 and re-erected by Robert Edleston in 1923 in ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from http://northeasthistorytour...
Gainford’s Spiteful Column (NZ168167)
- "Overlooking the graveyard of St.Mary’s church, Gainford, there stands a conspicuous 40ft tall classical column. It is a lovely affair, yet seems to be so obviously out-of-place that ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Edlestone Hall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1159714
List grade: 2
County: County Durham
Grid ref: NZ1690016673

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES