COLUMN,35 METRES EAST OF EDLESTON HOUSE - List Entry

  • Description

    "Commemorative column, c.1750. Erected by Sir Hugh Smithson at Stanwick Park, North Yorkshire, to commemorate the Peace of Aachen of 1748 and re-erected by Robert Edleston in 1923 in the grounds of Edleston House, Gainford. Sandstone ashlar. Tall, Roman Doric column on square-plan pedestal with moulded plinth and cornice. Column supports square-plan plinth and-stepped base (which formerly supported a statue, now destroyed)."
  • Owner

    Historic England
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1159714
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 3 months, 3 weeks ago
    Viewed: 287 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES