Clara Vale Colliery (1893 - 1966)
Clara Vale Colliery was establised in the township of Crawcrook in July 1893. It was owned by the Stella Coal Company. Housing was built for the miners and their families, giving rise to the village of Clara Vale. By 1930 there were 1,177 people employed at the colliery (987 working below ground and 190 working on the surface). The colliery closed on the 5th of February 1966.