List grade: 1
List number: 1140001
Grid ref: NZ3861721187
Wikipedia: St Cuthbert's Chu...

Church of St Cuthbert, Redmarshall


St Cuthbert's Church is in the village of Redmarshall, County Durham, England. It is an active Anglican parish church in the deanery of Stockton, the archdeaconry of Auckland, and the diocese of Durham. Its benefice is united with those of five nearby parishes. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.

History

The church dates from the 12th century, with a larger chancel added during the following century. A chantry chapel was built on the south side of the church in 1311. There were further alterations in the 15th century, and again in the 19th century, including a new roof in 1806. In 1845 the Lancaster architect Edmund Sharpe replaced the former sash windows in the nave and chapel with mullioned windows in Perpendicular style. Later a gallery was added by Sharpe and his partner E. G. Paley. The east window in the chancel was replaced in 1891.

Architecture

St Cuthbert's is constructed in roughly coursed rubble. It is roofed with Westmorland slate. The plan consists of a nave with a south porch, a chancel with a south chapel, and a west tower. The older parts of the church are in Norman style, newer parts in Gothic style, and the Victorian windows are Gothic Revival. The tower has a battlemented parapet. The interior of the church contains a 15th-century sedilia and an Easter sepulchre, a late Norman font, and 17th-century pews and communion rails. In the chapel are tombs bearing the effigies of Thomas de Loughton and wife dating from the middle of the 15th century. The single-manual organ was made in 1978–79 by N. Church, which replaced an earlier two-manual organ by Summers and Barnes.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 10/07/2017).
Visit the page: St Cuthbert's Church, Redmarshall for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.

from Geograph (geograph)
St. Cuthbert's Church, Redmarshall

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://www.historicengland...
CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT - Redmarshall - List Entry
- "Mainly Norman with restorations. C13 chancel and south chapel, much restored. Roughly coursed rubble. Unbuttressed west tower with battlements of C15. Norman doorway to south porch. One upper couch roof ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES