Whitehaven & Egremont Quakers History

  • Description

    "....Thomas Story encouraged Friends to build a meeting house and a plot of ground was purchased for 5 shillings. Friends subscribed towards the cost of a meeting house and early in 1724 the Friends of Pardshaw monthly meeting reported that a contract had been drawn up for the building work. When John Fothergill visited the town in July 1724 to take ship for Ireland he attended a meeting held inside the partially built walls. He returned nearly a year later at Easter and attended a large meeting, the first to be held in the meeting house. The regular and simple elevations of the building concealed a complex interior; great stone pillars supported the central valley of the double roof...."
  • Owner

    Cumberland Quakers
  • Source

    Local (Co-Curate)
  • License

    What does this mean? Unknown license check permission to reuse
  • Further information

    Link: https://www.cumberlandquakers.org.uk/local-meetings/whitehaven/history/
    Resource type: Text/Website
    Added by: Simon Cotterill
    Last modified: 1 year, 9 months ago
    Viewed: 295 times
    Picture Taken: Unknown
  • Co-Curate tags


Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.


Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.