Chipchase with Gunnerton, 1848
CHIPCHASE, with Gunnerton, a township, in the parish of Chollerton, union of Hexham, N E. division of Tindale ward, S. division of Northumberland, 9 miles (N.N.W.) from Hexham; containing 372 inhabitants. Chipchase Castle, a large and beautiful structure, stands upon a lofty eminence, at the foot of which flows the North Tyne. Of the ancient building only a tower remains: it has a projecting battlement resting on corbels, and there are openings for missiles; some tattered fragments of paintings on the walls are exceedingly curious. A private chapel, in which the vicar performs divine service four times in the year, was rebuilt by John Reed, Esq., in 1732, on the lawn of the castle.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.