Topics > Northumberland > Humshaugh > Chesters, Humshaugh

Chesters, Humshaugh


Chesters is a country house near Humshaugh in Northumberland. It was built in 1771 by John Carr for John Errington of Walwick Grange. In 1796 the estate was sold to Nathaniel Clayton (1754 - 1832). His son, John Clayton (1792 -1890), curated many of the Roman artefacts at the closeby remains of Chesters Roman Fort. Chesters was remodelled, with major extensions and a stable block by Norman Shaw in 1891. Chesters is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England. 

Chesters is an 18th-century country mansion situated adjacent to Hadrian's Wall and the Roman fort of Cilurnum at Humshaugh, Northumberland, England. It is Grade II* listed on the National Heritage List for England.

The house was built for John Errington of Walwick Grange in about 1771 with three storeys and four bays but was much improved and extended by architect Norman Shaw in 1891. The 1891 work included five two-storeyed three-bay wings and a stable block. The stable block is separately Grade II* listed.

Of the five wings, three were diagonal, creating suntrap flanks for the south and west fronts. Shaw's remodelling of Chesters kindled the popularity of the Butterfly plan in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The estate was acquired by Nathaniel Clayton (Town Clerk of Newcastle upon Tyne 1785–1822) in 1796. His son John Clayton who succeeded him as Town Clerk in 1822 was a keen antiquarian and excavated the ruins of the Roman fort of Cilurnam adjacent to the house. He made a large collection of Roman artefacts, which is now displayed at Chesters Museum.

Text from Wikipedia, available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License (accessed: 11/11/2020).
Visit the page: Chesters (Humshaugh) for references and further details. You can contribute to this article on Wikipedia.
Humshaugh John Clayton (1792 -1890) Chesters Roman Fort Historic Buildings and Monuments in Humshaugh Civil Parish 1771 Grade II* Listed Stable Block, Chesters
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters (Humshaugh)

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters House

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
CHESTERS - Humshaugh - List Entry
- "Country house, 1771 by John Carr for John Clayton, remodelled with major extensions 1891 by Norman Shaw. Ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. Square 1771 block with 5 1891 wings, 3 set ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
John Clayton (1792 -1890)
  Co-Curate Page
John Clayton (1792 -1890)
- Overview About John Clayton John Clayton is best known for his role as Town Clerk of Newcastle during the 19th century. Clayton was born on 10th June 1792 and went ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters Walled Garden - the Formal Garden

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
Chesters Roman Fort
  Co-Curate Page
Chesters Roman Fort
- Overview About Chesters (Cilurnum) Map Chesters Roman Fort and Museum, managed by English Heritage, is located near Walwick and Chollerford in Northumberland. The Roman cavalry fort (Cilurnum) was built in ...
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters Walled Garden - greenhouse and main herb bed

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Chesters Walled Garden - the Thyme Bank

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



List number: 1155585
List grade: 2*
Wikipedia: Chesters (Humshaugh)
Post code: NE46 4EU
County: Northumberland
Grid ref: NY9092270251

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES