Cassop Township, 1848
CASSOP, a township, in the parish of Kelloe, S. division of Easington ward, union and N. division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (S.E. by E.) from Durham; containing 1,076 inhabitants. This place, anciently called Cazhope, and included within the limits of Queringdonshire, was formerly the residence of the family of Reed, and of that of Busby, and is at present held under the See of Durham. The village stands, with a northern aspect, on a high swell of limestone hills, separated from Quarrington on the south by a broad hollow vale, and commanding an extensive prospect of a variegated tract in the north-western direction. The produce of Cassop and Cassop-moor collieries is shipped at Hartlepool. The impropriate tithes have been commuted for £104. 18. 8., payable to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn, and the vicarial for £17. 4.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.