Cartington Township, 1848
CARTINGTON, a township, in the parish and union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland, 3¼ miles (N.W. by N.) from Rothbury; containing, with Bankland, 66 inhabitants. The castle of this place, which is now in ruins, and the surrounding lands, belonged to a branch of the Widdrington family. The tithes have been commuted for £5. 2.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.