Camerton Parish, 1848
CAMMERTON, a parish, in the union of Cockermouth, Allerdale ward below Derwent, W. division of Cumberland; containing 941 inhabitants, of whom 154 are in the township of Cammerton, 2 miles (E.N.E.) from Workington. The parish comprises 3384a. 2r. 20p., and is bounded on the north by the Solway Firth, and on the south by the river Derwent, whence passes a canal to the Seaton iron-works; there are some mines of coal within its limits. The living is a perpetual curacy; net income, £100; patrons and appropriators, the Dean and Chapter of Carlisle, whose tithes have been commuted for £327. 1. 6., and who have 18 acres of glebe. The church, rebuilt in 1794, contains an effigy in full length, the feet resting on a lamb, of a person called "Black Tom of the North," whose seat here, according to tradition, was Barrow Castle, now in ruins.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.