Topics > Cumbria > St John's in the Vale > Civil Parishes in Cumbria > Buttermere Civil Parish
Buttermere Civil Parish
Parish boundaries may have changed - for the latest map see the Parish Council or Cumbria County Council.
About the Parish
Buttermere (village), Gatesgarth, Brackenthwaite
121 (2011 Census)
127 (2001 Census)
Buttermere Parish Council
-Working as part of the Melbreak Communities (Blindbothel CP, Buttermere CP, Loweswater CP and Lorton CP)
|District Council:||Allerdale Borough Council|
|County Council:||Cumbria County Council|
Townships and chapelries became civil parishes in their own right in 1866 (see below).
Ancient parishes refer to the parishes before the split between ecclesiastical (church) and civil parishes in the 19th century. They had a parish church and often were composed of multiple townships and chapelries. In many cases, townships and parishes were originally based on the territory of manors from the feudal system during medieval times. Civil parishes were created following the Poor Law Amendment Act 1866, in which Church of England parishes, extra-parochial areas, townships and chapelries, became "civil parishes" which could set their own poor rate (tax). Then the reforms of Local Government Act 1894 established elected civil parish councils (or parish meetings for parishes with less than 300 residents) and created urban and rural districts. Boundaries of parishes and civil parishes may have changed over time.
Allerdale above Derwent (ward)
|Poor Law Union:||
Cockermouth Poor Law Union, formed in 1838.
Cockermouth Union Workhouse was located by Sullart Street in Cockermouth, opening in 1841. This replaced smaller existing workhouses in Cockermouth, Maryport and Workington.
Under the Poor Law Amendment Act of 1834 parishes were grouped into Unions, each of which had to build a workhouse if they did not already have one. It ended the old system of locally provided poor relief which had come under strain as numbers out of work grew, following increasing mechanisation of agriculture and the economic downturn after the Napoleonic Wars, along with changing social attitudes. The workhouse provided those unable to support themselves financially with accommodation and work. Inmates were generally segregated into men, women, boys and girls.
The workhouse system was abolished by the Local Government Act 1929, but many workhouses lived on as ‘Public Assistance Institutions’ until the National Assistance Act 1948.
Cumberland, until 1974, then:
Cumbria, which was created on the 1st of April 1974, following the Local Government Act 1972. The new county absorbed Cumberland and Westmorland, and added some parts of Lancashire and the West Riding of Yorkshire.
Cockermouth Rural District (1894 - 1974)
Allerdale Borough (1974 - ) Created by the Local Government Act 1972. Allerdale absorbed the former municipal borough of Workington; the urban districts of Maryport, Cockermouth and Keswick; and the rural districts of Cockermouth and Wigton.
See also: Historic Buildings and Monuments in Buttermere Civil Parish. Note: listed buildings are generally the responsibility of the county council / unitary authority, rather than the parish council.
Add a comment or share a memory.