BRETHERDALE, a township, in the parish of Orton, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 3 miles (S.W.) from Orton; containing 82 inhabitants. The manor belonged to Byland Abbey, Yorkshire, but at the Dissolution was purchased by the family of Wharton, and is now the property of the Earl of Lonsdale. A rent-charge of £22. 9. 10. has been awarded as a commutation for the vicarial tithes; the rectorial were purchased by the landowners in 1618.