Brandon with Byshottles, 1848
BRANDON, with Byshottles, a township, in the parish of Brancepeth, union of Durham, N.W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 3 miles (W.S.W.) from Durham; containing 467 inhabitants. It comprises by computation 3,460 acres. The village is occasionally called East Brandon, to distinguish it from a farm-hold within the township, bearing the name of West Brandon. Here is a paper manufactory. Burn Hall, a handsome mansion here, was built about twenty years since, near the site of an ancient residence. The tithes have been commuted for £311. 15. 10. On the summit of Brandon Hill is an oblong mount, or tumulus, supposed to have been either the site of a beacon, or the burial-place of some departed hero.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.