Brancepeth War Memorial


Brancepeth War Memorial is located in the churchyard of the St Brandon's Church in Brancepeth. The memorial is Grade 2 Listed.

"Brancepeth War Memorial was unveiled on 2 June 1921 by Lt-Col Hugh Bowes RD DL and dedicated by the Venerable PA Derry, Archdeacon of Auckland, in commemoration of 16 local servicemen who died during the First World War. The stone for the memorial, and the stonemasons' labour, had been donated by Viscount Boyne of Brancepeth Castle and the remaining costs of £148 12s 8d were raised by public subscription in the estate village. The cross was designed by WH Wood of Newcastle. Following the Second World War the details of one soldier who died in that conflict were added to the memorial." (Historic England)

from Geograph (geograph)
St Brandon Church, Brancepeth, War Memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Brancepeth war memorial

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from https://historicengland.org...
Brancepeth War Memorial - List Entry
- "Brancepeth War Memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the Church of St Brandon, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES