Brafferton Township, 1848
BRAFFERTON, a township, in the parish of Aycliffe, union of Darlington, S. E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 4½ miles (N. by E.) from Darlington; containing 211 inhabitants. This township, which is situated on the line of the York and Newcastle railway, contains 2,312 acres; and comprises the ancient manor of Ketton, which was granted by Bishop Carilepho to the convent of Durham, and is now the property of the Rev. Sir Charles Hardinge, Bart. While Ketton was in the occupation of the late Charles Colling, who died in 1830, it was celebrated for its fine breed of short-horned cattle. The tithes have been commuted for £144. 10. payable to the vicar, and £73 to the Dean and Chapter of Durham.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.