Borrowdon Township, 1848
BORROWDON, a township, in the parish of Allenton, union of Rothbury, W. division of Coquetdale ward, N. division of Northumberland; containing 165 inhabitants. It is situated about a mile south-west from Netherton, from which it is separated by a small stream; and belongs to various proprietors. About a mile and a half to the south-west stands Charity Hall, which was left to the poor of Rothbury parish, and from that circumstance derives its name. Several British axe-heads of flint have been found.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.