BOLTON, a chapelry, in the parish of Edlingham, union of Alnwick, N. division of Coquetdale ward and of Northumberland, 6½ miles (W.) from Alnwick; containing 128 inhabitants. It is memorable as the scene of a meeting in 1209, between John, King of England, and William, King of Scotland, who proceeded in company from this village to Norham, where they conferred upon matters affecting their respective interests; and on the 5th of Sept., in the 5th of Henry VIII., a short time previously to the battle of Branxton, a congress was held here, at which several noblemen and other distinguished persons, with a train of about 26,000 troops, were present. An hospital for a master, three chaplains, thirteen lepers, and other lay brethren, was founded and endowed prior to 1225, by Robert de Roos, Baron of Wark, in honour of St. Thomas the Martyr, or the Holy Trinity, and made subordinate to the abbey of Rivaulx, and the priory of Kirkham, in Yorkshire. Several stone chests, and urns containing ashes, charcoal, and fragments of human bones, together with a celt, have been discovered at a short distance from the place. The tithes here of the Dean and Chapter of Durham have been commuted for £196.