Blyth Chain Ferry
The Blyth Chain Ferry (aka 'High Ferry') operated from c.1890 to 1964, from a landing near Cowpen Square in Blyth. The ferry was towed across the River Blyth by chains, driven by steam power. It's passengers included those heading to work north of the river at Cambois Colliery, the Hughes Bolckow shipbreakers yard and the old Blyth Power Station near Cambois. Photographs (below) show a later chain ferry, which carried passengers, bikes and up to four vehicles - with cabins at either side of the central space used by vehicles. In 1964, the chain ferry was replaced by a motor ferry, which operated until 1997. The ferry was partly superseded by Kitty Brewster Bridge, which opened in 1961, with a bus service via the bridge to North Blyth introduced later. After the ferry closed, a rowing boat service across the river resumed for a while. The ferry is remembered today in Chain Ferry Road, which runs from Cowpen Road up towards the old south landing of the old chain ferry.