Bewley Castle (ruins)


Bewley Castle, now in ruins, was once the residence of Bishops of Carlisle. The original castle here ('Bellus Locus') is thought to have been built by Bishop Hugh who died in 1223. It was was rebuilt in 1325 and restored by Bishop William Strickland in 1402.[1] The ruins, on private land, are located about a mile and a half south of the village of Bolton and 25 miles south-east of Carlisle. The ruins date from late 14th to early 15th century and are a Scheduled Ancient Monument.[2]
from https://historicengland.org...
BEWLEY CASTLE - List Entry
- "Ruin, formerly residence of bishops of Carlisle. Substantial remains of south end, up to 30 feet high, date from late C14/early C15. Ashlar and rubble, roofless; one ground floor ...

Added by
Edmund Anon
from https://www.visitcumbria.co...
Bewley Castle
- "Bewley Castle was once the home of the Bishops of Carlisle. Said to have been built by Bishop Hugh who died in 1223. The castle was originally called ‘Bellus Locus ...

Added by
Edmund Anon

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES