Bantam Folly, Belsay


Bantam Folly, near Belsay Castle, are farm buildings, built in c.1757 for Sir William Middleton. The buildings were designed to provide a landscape feature; until the mid-20th Century, the folly had a wooden spire, which made it resemble a church. Above the central arch is a castellated dovecote tower, in which there are brick nesting boxes.[1] Bantam Folly is a Grade II listed building.

from Geograph (geograph)
Bantam Folly

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Bantham Folly, Belsay

Pinned by Pat Thomson
from https://historicengland.org...
BANTAM FOLLY, APPROX 200 YARDS WEST OF BELSAY CASTLE - List Entry
- "Farm buildings. c.1757 for Sir William Middleton. ... Central section has 7 segmental arches with keystones. All are now blocked up and have boarded doors set in. The central arch ...

Added by
Pat Thomson
from Geograph (geograph)
Bantam Folly

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES