Auckland Park Colliery (1864 - 1946)


Auckland Park Colliery was formed in 1864, when Machine Pit of Black Boy Colliery was renamed Auckland Park Colliery. Later 'North Pit' and 'South Pit' were developed as part of the Colliery. The Colliery was purchased by steel makers, Bolckow Vaughan & Co in 1872. In 1929 it came under the ownership of Dorman, Long & Co. Ltd. By 1902 there were 1,236 people employed at Auckland Park Colliery (870 working below ground and 366 on the surface).[1] Auckland Park Colliery closed in 1946.

from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Auckland Park Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Flickr (flickr)
Bolckow and Vaughan - WW1 Roll of Honour

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from http://www.thenorthernecho....
It may have been the pits, but it was home to us.
- Article by Chris Lloyd, Northern Echo, 7th October 2013. "The Dene Valley to the east of Bishop Auckland exploded into life in the latter half of the 19th Century. It ...

Added by
Simon Cotterill
Dorman, Long and Co Ltd
  Co-Curate Page
Dorman, Long and Co Ltd

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.

ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES