Allithwaite is a small village in Cumbria, England, located roughly 1.2 miles (1.9 km) west of Grange-over-Sands. Most of its residents commute to local areas of Ulverston, Barrow-in-Furness, Kendal or Lancaster to work. Historically in Lancashire, Allithwaite, and the village of Cartmel situated to the north, are part of the civil parish of Lower Allithwaite. At the 2001 census, the parish had a population of 1,758, increasing to 1,831 at the 2011 Census. There is also a civil parish called Upper Allithwaite, which includes Lindale, Low Newton and High Newton. The population of this parish at the 2011 Census was 843.
The Anglican parish church is St. Mary's Church, built in 1864–65 and designed by the Lancaster architect E. G. Paley. There is a small primary school, Allithwaite Primary C of E School located next to the church. Both church and school were built by a legacy left to the village. The village also has two pubs, a post office, a children's playground and a reasonably sized playing field with a tennis court and a bowling green.
A mile to the south, Wraysholme Tower is a 15th-century pele tower, used as a barn and cow-house, adjoining a 19th-century farmhouse. The tower was built by the Harrington family of Aldingham. A Michael Harrington acquired a grant of free warren in Allingham in 1315. The tower is by . It has axes north and south and is built of local limestone rubble, with angle quoins. The walls are thick at their base. There is a projecting garderobe, about square, at the south-west corner, where there is a spiral staircase. There was originally an entrance at the north-west corner. The building is roofed with slate.
Boarbank Hall, to the west of the village, is a convent, nursing home and guest house, with a community of twelve Augustinian sisters and two Benedictine sisters. There has been a house on the site since at least 1592, but the present house, in an Italian style, was built in 1870 after a fire had destroyed the previous frontage. The Augustinian Cannonesses acquired the house in 1921. The Oratory, built in 1986, was the subject of an episode of BBC television's Building Sights, featuring architect Richard MacCormac, in 1991.