Woodham is an area of Newton Aycliffe, once a separate settlement before the building anf growth of the new town.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WOODHAM, a township, in the parish of Aycliffe, union of Sedgefield, S.E. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 7 miles (E. S. E.) from Bishop Auckland; containing 207 inhabitants. This place was honoured by a visit from James VI. of Scotland, on his route to take possession of the crown of England; he halted here for a short time, and was present at the celebration of a horse-race. The township comprises 3,705 acres, chiefly arable land, and the soil generally of very poor quality. The Clarence railway passes through. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £86. 11. 8.; and the appropriate for £27. 11. 8., payable to the Chapter of Durham.