Women’s Land Army
During the Second World War a contingent of the Women’s Land Army was based in Wooler. Initially, the women stayed in the station buildings. Then in c.1941* they moved to new purpose-built hostel, which accomodated 30-40 'land girls' (the building is now used as Wooler Youth Hostel). Several of the women stayed in the town after the war ended, having married local men. *dates vary according to different sources.