Winston Parish, 1848
WINSTON (St. Andrew), a parish, in the union of Teesdale, S. W. division of Darlington ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 10 miles (W. by N.) from Darlington, on the road to Barnard-Castle; containing 293 inhabitants. This parish, which comprises about 3150 acres, belongs to the Trustees of the Earl of Bridgewater. The village is situated on an elevation rising from the northern bank of the river Tees, which is crossed here by a handsome stone bridge of one arch, 111 feet in the span, built in 1764. The living is a rectory, valued in the king's books at £9. 18. 1½., and in the gift of the Bishop of Durham: the tithes have been commuted for £385. 10. to the rector, £25. 14. to Trinity College, Cambridge, and 13s. to the vicar of Gainford; the glebe contains 29½ acres. The church is a small ancient fabric, chiefly of early English character: the churchyard is shaded by venerable elms, beneath the branches of which a noble prospect of Raby opens to the north. The parsonage, with its beautiful gardens laid out in hanging terraces, joins the church on the east, and commands one of the richest views of the Tees, the wild range of the Richmondshire hills bounding the horizon on the south and west.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.