Topics > Northumberland > Widdrington Station > Widdrington Colliery

Widdrington Colliery


The sinking of Widdrington Colliery began in 1869 (Isabella Pit & Sisters Pit sunk c.1873). The colliery was initially owned by William Barkus and then from the 1880s, by Widdrington Coal Co. In 1896 there were 242 people employed at the colliery (197 working below ground, and 45 on the surface).[1

Widdrington Station
from http://www.dmm.org.uk/colli...
Widdrington Colliery

Added by
Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Remains of a mineral railway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Widdrington Moor

Pinned by Simon Cotterill
from Geograph (geograph)
Site of a mineral railway

Pinned by Simon Cotterill

Comments

Add a comment or share a memory.

Login to add a comment. Sign-up if you don't already have an account.



ABOUT US

Co-Curate is a project which brings together online collections, museums, universities, schools and community groups to make and re-make stories and images from North East England and Cumbria. Co-Curate is a trans-disciplinary project that will open up 'official' museum and 'un-officia'l co-created community-based collections and archives through innovative collaborative approaches using social media and open archives/data.

LATEST SHARED RESOURCES