Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.
WHITTON, a township, in the parish of Grindon, union of Stockton, N. E. division of Stockton ward, S. division of the county of Durham, 5½ miles (N.W. by W.) from Stockton; containing 52 inhabitants. The township comprises 750 acres: the main line of the Clarence railway passes through it. The vicarial tithes have been commuted for £11; and the impropriate for £106. 17. payable to Christ's Hospital, Sherburn.