Wharton Township, Westmorland, 1848
WHARTON, a township, in the parish of Kirkby Stephen, East ward and union, county of Westmorland, 2¼ miles (S. by W.) from Kirkby-Stephen; containing 55 inhabitants. It comprises 1,472 acres, of which 700 are common or waste land. The Hall, once a large quadrangular building with a tower at each angle, was the princely residence of Philip, the celebrated Duke of Wharton, and his ancestors, but is now occupied as a farmhouse. The ancient village was demolished many years since for the enlargement of the park, when the inhabitants settled at Wharton-Dikes. The estates and manorial rights of the Whartons are now possessed by the Earl of Lonsdale.
Extract from: A Topographical Dictionary of England comprising the several counties, cities, boroughs, corporate and market towns, parishes, and townships..... 7th Edition, by Samuel Lewis, London, 1848.